Articulating Truck Cranes
Commercial Truck equipment carries the largest range of articulating cranes in western Canada for all applications from Oilfield Service units in the prairies to marine cranes for the coast guard in the Pacific.
We offer over 100 models of articulating cranes for a wide range of applications, and sizes from 2 tm to 85 tm.
Often called picker cranes, hiabs, or knuckle booms (because the boom has two joints, and folds down like the knuckles in your finger) have always been popular in Europe, and are becoming more popular in Canada. Articulating cranes have a more compact size and offer several advantages:
- greater payload weight – because the crane is lighter more payload allows the same delivery to be done in fewer trips.
- greater installation flexibility – the crane can be mounted behind the cab, or at the rear, allowing the weight to be distributed on the axels front or rear as needed by the work truck application.
- more maneuverable – where as stiff boom cranes are good at lifting a load high into the air, articulating cranes excel at lifting loads horizontally. For example think about delivering pallets of bricks to a residential location. The picker crane can easily pull in from the back yard lift directly off the deck, over the fence and place on the customer’s back yard. The increased control of a knuckleboom allows the loads to be maneuvered around obstacles on the job site, and the truck can be loaded and unloaded faster so you can get to the next job site quicker.
- multiple attachments – common attachments include pallet forks, grapples, buckets, and more.
- shorter set up times – articulating cranes typically pick with a load hook instead of a winch so set up times are usually quicker.
Commercial Truck Equipment has 10 locations across Canada from British Columbia to Quebec, and we’re growing. We usually carry nearly 100 articulating cranes in stock…including lines from Palfinger, Amco Veba, Atlas, and Ferrari.